It all started with Twitter. My husband started following the Steak-umms account, and from there, it spiraled quickly. Before I knew it, we had boxes upon boxes in our freezer. Now, we are certainly fans of cheesesteaks, but there are only so many we can eat.
I was never one to waste food; I was determined to find creative ways to use the pounds and pounds of steak-umms. I’ve found that they are a versatile ingredient that leads to some quick dinners.
Want some fantastic steak-umm recipes? Let’s go to The Chalkboard.
Jump Ahead To
What Are Steak-Umms?
Steak Umms are thin sheets of beef. Costco sells a version that they market as beef sheets. Quite the name, right? But that is precisely what they are.
Is Steak-Umm Real Steak?
Steak-umms are meat. Their ingredients are 100% real beef. They are NOT necessarily steak, which is a specific cut of beef.
It’s also worth noting that beef is the only ingredient in steak-umms. There aren’t any preservatives or fillers added.
Who Invented Steak-Umms?
Gene Gagliardi created the product in the 1970s as an easily chewable alternative to steak. It was marketed during that time to families as a meal that was simple to prepare, specifically for latchkey kids.
How Do You Cook Steak-Umms?
Before we can make these Steak-umm recipes, we need to know how to cook them.
There are several ways to cook these sheets of beef. Here’s The best way to cook steak umms is in a frying pan or, if you have a more considerable amount, on the griddle. Take it out of the freezer shortly before cooking to defrost and preheat to 350 degrees or a frying pan to medium-high. Add the steak-umms and chop with a spatula as you cook.
How To Add Flavor To Steak-Umms
If you want to add flavor to the meat, you can do it in several ways. Spice blends are a great way; sprinkle some on while cooking. Italian seasoning, taco seasoning, and Montreal steak are great options. If you watch your sodium levels, take note before using, as some spice mixes are high in salt. It’s best to make your own if that’s the case.
Sauces are also a great way to add flavor. Fancy mayonnaise or aiolis are options, and this chipotle sauce, but the sky is the limit. If you like a sauce, steak-umms are likely a good match.
How To Make Your Own Steak-umms? Here’s A DIY Steak-Umm Recipe
If you prefer to make your steak-umms from scratch, here’s how. Ribeye is the best meat to use as the marbling adds excellent flavor and texture. To get thin slices, place the meat in the freezer to firm up. If you have a deli slicer, it’s ideal for slicing. If not, a sharp mandoline will work well, too; be careful. Both of these devices will help to get razor-thin slices. Cook just as you would steak-umms.
What Else Can I Use Steakums For? Here Are 12 Steak-Umm Recipes
- Cheesesteaks – No list for what to use steak-umm recipes would be complete without cheesesteaks. Cook and chop the meat, place it on a bun and top with peppers, onions, and Whiz.
- Steak and Eggs – Steak umms shouldn’t be relegated to lunch and dinner. Add it to your breakfast routine, too. Make a breakfast burrito with steak and eggs, or serve it alongside toast.
- Burritos – Mix with rice, beans, cheese, and you have a hearty meal. Be sure to add some sauce or season the meat with taco seasoning.
- Tacos – Add some taco seasoning and water to the steak-umms. They are an excellent replacement for ground beef and cook in minutes.
- Pizza Topping – Are you looking for a hearty pizza topping? Try steak-umms meat! Add some sauteed green bell peppers and mozzarella or sliced jalapenos for some added flavor.
- Salad Topping – One of the secrets to creating a hearty salad are the elements you put in it. Adding protein to the top of a salad helps to keep you full longer.
- Mixed with rice and sauteed peppers – Sprinkle on some Italian seasoning and serve with rice and suateed peppers. Again, the griddle works wonders here. If you are really in a pinch for time, Trader Joe’s has frozen rice ready in three minutes.
- Calzone – Place cooked beef inside pizza dough with marinara sauce and mozzarella.
- BBQ Buns – Mix steak-umms with sauteed cabbage and bbq sauce and wrap in dough. Bake in the oven for a hearty dinner.
- Top sweet potatoes – Be sure to heavily season the meat to help it hold up to the taste of sweet potatoes. Top with Chipolte sauce or horseradish aioli. If you are short on time, bake the sweet potatoes in the crockpot. Rinse the sweet potatoes and then place them into the crockpot, still wet. Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 3.
- Nachos – Nachos on the table in minutes? It’s possible with steak-umms. Preheat the broiler while you cook the meat. Top the chips with beef, cheese, and whatever else makes your heart happy.
- Greek-style – Make it greek! Top a pita or naan bread with cooked meat, tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, and red onions for a filling dinner.
What Do You Think?
What are your favorite Steak-umm recipes? Let me know in the comments below; I’d love to hear!