Regarding comfort food, few dishes rival Scalloped Potatoes’s creamy, cheesy delight. But, whether you’re preparing a family dinner or hosting a special occasion, figuring out what to serve with Scalloped Potatoes to create a harmonious and satisfying meal can be a delightful yet daunting task.
In this article, we’ll delve into the culinary world of perfect pairings and explore various delectable options to complement this beloved dish’s rich and indulgent flavors. Whether you’re in the mood for something hearty, a delightful main course, or looking for a side that perfectly complements your Scalloped Potatoes, we’ve got you covered. Let’s embark on a culinary journey and uncover the ideal companions for your What To Serve With Scalloped Potatoes.
Let’s go to The Chalkboard.
Jump Ahead To
What Are Scalloped Potatoes?
Scalloped potatoes are a classic and comforting dish made from thinly sliced potatoes that are layered in a baking dish and baked with a creamy sauce. The typical ingredients for scalloped potatoes include potatoes, butter, flour, milk, and sometimes cheese. The dish is seasoned with salt, pepper, herbs, or spices for added flavor.
The preparation involves arranging the potato slices in the dish, seasoning them, and pouring a creamy sauce over the layers. The dish is baked until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown and bubbling. The result is a rich and creamy potato casserole with a satisfying combination of soft and tender potatoes and a flavorful sauce.
Scalloped potatoes are a popular side dish for holiday meals, Sunday dinners, and special occasions, and they can be customized with variations like adding cheese, bacon, or different seasonings to suit personal preferences. If you don’t want all the fuss, try the Costco version; it’s on the table in minutes!
One of the great things about scalloped potatoes is their versatility, but that is also what makes them tricky to pair. No need to despair! We’ve got 31 of the best items with scalloped potatoes to make a memorable meal.
What To Serve With Scalloped Potatoes — Vegetarian
- 1. Roasted Broccoli: Roasted broccoli is a fantastic choice to serve alongside scalloped potatoes. The slightly crispy texture and the nutty flavor of roasted broccoli perfectly complement the creamy, rich potatoes, offering a delightful contrast in taste and texture.
- 2. Roasted Cauliflower: Roasted cauliflower, much like its broccoli counterpart, adds a touch of earthy goodness to your meal. The caramelized edges of the cauliflower florets create a satisfying contrast to the softness of the scalloped potatoes.
- 3. Caesar Salad: A classic Caesar salad can add a refreshing and tangy element to your plate. The crisp romaine lettuce, garlicky croutons, and creamy dressing offer a delightful contrast to the potatoes, balancing the dish’s richness.
- 4. Simple Green Salad: A simple green salad is a versatile and light side that complements the creamy potatoes with fresh and crisp greens. The vinaigrette dressing can add a zesty kick to the overall meal.
- 5. Quinoa Cakes: Quinoa cakes are an excellent option for those seeking a protein-rich addition to their plate. These savory cakes can provide a satisfying, slightly crunchy texture alongside the velvety scalloped potatoes.
- 6. Roasted Brussels Sprouts: Roasted Brussels sprouts bring a lovely nutty, and slightly caramelized flavor to your meal, enhancing the overall dining experience. Their crispy leaves and tender centers make them an excellent companion for scalloped potatoes.
- 7. Mushroom Barley Veggie Burgers: Mushroom barley veggie burgers offer a hearty and flavorful plant-based protein source. The umami-rich mushrooms and hearty barley pair wonderfully with the creamy potatoes, creating a well-balanced, satisfying meal.
- 8. Crispy Tofu: Crispy tofu, when prepared well, can be a delightful addition to your plate. Its crispy exterior and soft interior provide a delightful contrast to the creamy potatoes while offering a source of plant-based protein.
What To Serve With Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Ham is a traditional accompaniment to scalloped potatoes. While these two are an excellent pair, if you wish to add another dish or two, here are some options.
- Carrot Souffle: Carrot souffle is a delightful choice when serving ham and scalloped potatoes. Its sweet, fluffy texture and vibrant carrot flavor provide a pleasant contrast to the savory ham and creamy potatoes, making for a harmonious and balanced meal.
- Steamed Broccoli: Steamed broccoli adds a touch of freshness and a satisfying crunch to your plate. The mild, slightly earthy broccoli flavor complements the rich, creamy scalloped potatoes and the savory notes of ham, creating a well-rounded combination.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts: Roasted Brussels sprouts are a great accompaniment to this classic duo. Their crispy leaves and caramelized edges introduce a lovely depth of flavor that pairs excellently with the ham’s saltiness and the potatoes’ creaminess.
- Simple Green Salad: A simple green salad brings a refreshing and crisp element to the meal, balancing the hearty ham and the richness of scalloped potatoes. The light vinaigrette dressing can add a zesty touch.
- Sautéed Mushrooms: Sautéed mushrooms offer an earthy, umami-rich addition to the plate. Their deep flavor and tender texture complement the smoky notes of ham and the creamy, cheesy goodness of scalloped potatoes.
- Green Peas: Green peas provide a burst of color and a sweet, slightly starchy contrast. They harmonize well with the flavors of ham and scalloped potatoes, offering a touch of natural sweetness.
- Green Bean Almondine: Green bean almondine, with its tender-crisp green beans and toasted almonds, adds a delightful crunch and nutty flavor. This side dish complements the meal by providing a textural contrast to the softness of the potatoes and the richness of the ham.
- Cranberry Sauce: Cranberry sauce brings a delightful tangy sweetness to the plate. It balances the saltiness of ham and the creaminess of scalloped potatoes, offering a burst of flavor that enhances the overall dining experience.
What Meat To Serve With Scalloped Potatoes
While ham is traditionally served with scalloped potatoes, the beauty of this side dish is in its versatility. Here are some excellent meats to serve with potatoes au gratin.
- 1. Meatloaf: With its hearty ground meat base, Meatloaf is a fantastic companion to scalloped potatoes. Meatloaf’s savory and slightly smoky flavor pairs wonderfully with the creamy, cheesy potatoes, creating a comforting and satisfying meal.
- 2. Roast Chicken: Roast chicken, with its crispy skin and tender, juicy meat, offers a classic combination with scalloped potatoes. The chicken’s simplicity and natural flavors perfectly complement the creamy richness of the potatoes.
- 3. Grilled Chicken Thighs: Grilled chicken thighs provide a delightful charred exterior and succulent, flavorful meat. Their slightly smoky notes and juicy texture contrast the creaminess of scalloped potatoes, resulting in a well-balanced and hearty meal.
- 4. Roast Beef: Roast beef, known for its robust and meaty flavor, pairs beautifully with scalloped potatoes. The beef’s deep, savory taste and tender texture harmonize with the creamy potatoes, offering an elegant and satisfying combination.
- 5. Pork Tenderloin: Pork tenderloin is a tender and lean choice that complements scalloped potatoes exceptionally well. The pork’s mild, slightly sweet flavor is an excellent match for the creamy, cheesy potatoes, creating a balanced and delectable meal.
- 6. Pork Chops: Pork chops, whether pan-fried or grilled, offer a savory and slightly smoky taste that pairs wonderfully with scalloped potatoes. The chops’ juicy, meaty goodness enhances the dining experience, creating a classic and satisfying combination.
- 7. Turkey: Turkey, often associated with holiday feasts, goes hand in hand with scalloped potatoes. Its mild and slightly earthy flavor complements the creamy and cheesy potatoes, resulting in a hearty and comforting meal perfect for special occasions.
What Kind of Chicken Goes With Scalloped Potatoes
While chicken is an excellent complement to scalloped potatoes, not every recipe combines with scalloped potatoes. Since this side dish is a little mushy, you want to contrast that texture with crispiness. Here are some great ways to prepare our favorite white meat that works well with scalloped potatoes.
- Roast Chicken: Roasting whole chicken results in tender, juicy meat with crispy skin. The aromatic herbs and seasonings infuse the meat, making it a perfect match for scalloped potatoes, offering a balanced combination of flavors and textures.
- Chicken Cutlets: They are thinly sliced, making them cook quickly and develop a crisp, golden crust. Their versatility and mild flavor make them an ideal choice to pair with creamy scalloped potatoes, as they provide a delightful contrast in texture and taste.
- Chicken Schnitzel: Chicken schnitzel involves pounding chicken cutlets, coating them with breadcrumbs, and pan-frying until golden and crispy. The crunchy exterior and tender chicken inside complement the creamy potatoes exceptionally well, creating a satisfying and hearty meal.
- Roasted Chicken Legs: Roasted chicken legs boast a succulent and flavorful dark meat with crispy, seasoned skin. The rich and savory characteristics of the chicken legs are a delectable addition to scalloped potatoes, enhancing the overall dining experience.
- Chicken Wings: Chicken wings, with their finger-licking goodness, are a crowd-pleaser when served with scalloped potatoes. Their savory, saucy nature and slight spiciness provide an exciting contrast to the creamy potatoes, making for a memorable and indulgent meal.
- Chicken Meatloaf: Chicken meatloaf offers a lean and flavorful take on a classic comfort food. Its mild yet satisfying taste pairs harmoniously with scalloped potatoes, creating a comforting and well-rounded dish.
- Chicken Meatballs: Chicken meatballs, whether simmered in sauce or roasted, provide a savory and slightly spiced profile. Their bite-sized appeal and tender texture make them a delightful companion to the creaminess of scalloped potatoes.
- Roast Chicken Breast: When correctly seasoned and cooked, roasted chicken breast stays moist and flavorful. Its mild taste and tender texture create an elegant pairing with scalloped potatoes, offering a well-balanced and satisfying meal.
What Do You Think?
How do you answer what to serve with scalloped potatoes? Let me know in the comments below; I’d love to read. If you want other serving suggestions, check out our posts on French toast, French Dip Sandwiches, and Chicken Tenders.
Pin this for later.